Friday, October 22, 2010

My Desk

A few years ago Uncle R surprised me with a wonderful desk for our anniversary. On our every-other-week trips to Huntsville to check & love on Mom & Pop, we would stop in Franklin, TN for supper at a wonderful restaurant near the central town square and then walk across the street to a Ben & Jerry’s for an ice cream cone. After that we’d stroll along Franklin’s quaint Main Street and look into the beautiful window displays. Among the interesting variety of shops there was an antique store that had a desk in the window that we noticed and kept coming back to admire.

Then there came a Friday night in late November that we walked to the storefront with our ice cream and I screeched to a stop and pointed. “It’s not there!” I gasped. “Oh no!” I felt sad. It seemed so perfect with its simplicity and fun little drawers & cubbyholes.

A few Saturdays later, Uncle R took me for a drive and revealed as we entered downtown Franklin that we were coming to pick up our desk! It was so exciting! He had called the shop and asked that they hold it for us!

I love to sit at this little desk in our dining room and gaze around at all the meaningful items that cluster around me on its surface. To some people my little desk would be a bit cluttered but each of the things that decorate it are special to me in some way.

There are books giving and/or written by dear friends. There are photos of family & friends – some framed and a few just propped against others. My Eiffel Tower collection is lined up in a row along the top shelf and other Tower images grace a paperweight, stationery box, small framed engraving, photo album and a few varieties of journals. (People seem to have caught on that I like Eiffel towers and I occasionally receive them for presents.) Every one of them is special to me. A green Christmas candle from my seester always smells good as I sit and work on my computer and a little china chihuahua gazes up at me reminding me that Donda enjoys surprising me sometime with some little treasure that she knows will delight my heart.

I’d love to see the desks of my other Pamela’s Girls. What do you keep on your desk – home or at work?

Love and happy Weekend,

Auntie J

No comments:

Post a Comment