Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Village Chapel & Art Show On Prayer

I am always both thrilled and intimidated by the artistic and creative talent at the church to which Uncle R. and I both belong. It’s a wonderfully diverse group of people that we fellowship with - having its largest age group falling into 20 & 30 year olds and showing a healthy community of families with just about every other age or ethnic category gathered together. We love that! You are just as likely to see someone’s 80-year-old-grandmother sitting beside a mohawked young man with piercings and various unidentified tattoos as the average middle class family with teenagers in tow.

At our choice of the 6pm Sunday evening service, Uncle R. and I usually like sit on the aisle on one of the first few rows on the right side of the chapel. When our church serves Communion on the first weekend of the month, we are usually among the first group who will stand up and walk forward to receive the Communion. When we sit back down, I love to sit and watch the procession of our church family as they file down the central aisle beside our chairs. I see expressions that look troubled, heads that are bowed - but I also see smiles as people hug those they pass or hold hands with someone they are walking with toward the front. Will that be like it is in Heaven? Walking forward holding hands, hugging and rejoicing – thankful that we could leave the troubles and sorrows behind? I like to think so! One of my very favorite Communions at The Village Chapel was the one at which Uncle R. and I were fortunate to have Mommy M. with us. The three of us took the bread and wine together and it was all I could do not to burst into tears with the joy that I felt.


Our pastor and his dear wife are exceptional people – creative, loving, brilliant and insightful Bible scholars, published authors and faithful, hardworking servants to the Lord. Kim is an amazing artist and Uncle R. and I are thrilled to have an original painting of hers in our home.



Kim’s creative bent has lent itself through the years to encouraging art shows at our church. Back in 2008 I fearfully put one of my paintings in an art show with the theme of The Attributes Of Christ and I just dropped one off this past Saturday for a show with the theme of Prayer. I am never confident about people looking at the paintings that I do, but I like to participate and hope that I get some good feedback.

This past Sunday I was sick with a sinus infection and couldn’t go on the night of the opening of the art show, but Uncle R. took photos for me. My painting is of the girl praying beneath the tree and I have titled it Autumn Unburdened.











I will get to see the art show for myself this coming Sunday and can’t wait to see what everyone has submitted. I know that I will be overwhelmed with the talent there and my knees will knock a bit when I get to mine.

Yipes.

Love to my Pamela’s Girls,
Auntie J.







No comments:

Post a Comment