Sunday, May 30, 2010

Early Summer Musings






I have always thought my favorite time of year was Autumn, with its beautiful show of leaf colors and crispy, cool days, football games and smells of woodsmoke in the air. Then, again, the first coming of spring, with its daffodils appearing from the cold winter ground and the first few warm breezes and blue, cloudless skies is always wonderful.
But this year, especially, I have realized that the last weeks of May and first weeks of June are another one of my favorite times. That is when my gardenia bushes burst into bloom. Some of the bushes were started from Pamela's bush in Columbia, while others I bought, rooted, and spread around the yard, so there are several different varieties. Some have small flowers and start to bloom towards the end of May, while others have much bigger flowers and bloom well into June.


There is something so satisfying about coming downstairs on an early summer morning to the sweet smell of gardenias on my windowsill, fresh coffee brewing and a bowl of homemade granola covered with sweet ripe peaches from the McLeod Farms in McBee, SC. It is blissful!




This week SS did the most wonderful thing for me in having a gate installed in our back fence and a path made between our house and Mommy M's. This way there is a beautiful, woodsy path we can quickly take back and forth. Baby B enjoys walking it and finding treasures, from the little trees along the way to sticks, leaves and gum balls he likes to collect.
Although they cannot stay in this house they are renting forever, I know we will cherish the times we will be able to spend together this summer, evenings after supper on long summer days, watching our adorable Baby B as he grows and learns.
Hope all of my Pamela's Girls will feel as blessed as I do this week.
With love, CiCi

No comments:

Post a Comment