Monday, July 5, 2010

In Remembrance

Auntie J writes about food and the senses bringing us back to places and times in our memories. The other night I was having dinner at a new restaurant we haven't been to before. Here's a link to the photos on yelp. Every now and then I'll have a craving to get a dessert. Most of the time I'll look at the dessert menu and unless something really yummy pops out, then I'll pass.
My other grandmother, Vivian, had a big sweet tooth. Ever since I was a kid she couldn't pass up a dessert, ever. One time we were having our favorite, coffee ice cream, for a mid day snack on a late summer afternoon. Then she said "Let's make hot coffee and pour it on top of the coffee ice cream. Wouldn't that be good?!" So we did. And it was SO good!
At this restaurant for dessert they offered ice cream with hot espresso poured on top, just like Vivian invented. This time, I couldn't pass up dessert and I got it just for her. For the fun time we had together and how she always knew how to add a little something to a dish to make it fun and delicious. To the left is the ice cream with espresso and whipped cream.For years now I've had these same 2 pictures in a frame next to each other- from one apartment to the next apartment; from the west coast to the east coast and back; from the north to the south. I also keep this candle next to them. I used to keep it just next to my granddad, but now it's for both of them. While I was in college in Myrtle Beach, I had a friend that is from Israel. As a gift he gave me this Jewish candle that is a memorial candle that you light every year in remembrance of loved ones that have gone on and are in heaven. I have never lit it so it will always last and I remember them everyday that passes.
Cici put it so well the other day: "You have to always remember to appreciate all the time you have with those you love, cause 'today' is 'tomorrow's' 'old days.'"
I'm so thankful I have these memories, that food and smells can bring them back to life for a moment, and that I have all of you in my life today!
See you all in a few weeks, yay!
Love to the Pamela's Girls,
SanFran S

No comments:

Post a Comment