Friday, July 2, 2010

Happy Birthday, Mommas!







Every July 2, I remember Mommas, the sweetest, kindest, most gentle soul ever ! She was born in 1898, so would be 102 today. Since she passed away in 1984, Mommy M and San Fran S never really got to know her, but she ADORED them! After Mommy M was born in 1979, Mommas started sending her a check for $25 every month, for me to use to buy little things she needed. Since we were on a tight budget, this meant the world to me - especially since Mommas only had Social Security of about $345 a month. It gradually went up when San Fran S came along.
A couple of my favorite memories of her include how she always let me win at games, from everything from Go Fish to Old Maid. Although they say not to do this with children, I always loved being able to beat an adult in a game.
Also, Mommas subscribed to a number of magazines her whole life and for probably at least the last 10 years, she only did it to give them to me. As soon as they came in, they would be waiting with my little stack of goodies from her, which usually included a little basket with my favorite food, covered in a starched dish towel or cloth.
So to all the Pamela's Girls, "Sug" or "Nookie" (Mommas' names of endearment for us) have a good day today and strive to be like this wonderful grandmother and great-grandmother of ours.
Love, CiCi

No comments:

Post a Comment