Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Memories






















This week, SS had a Petroleum Marketing Meeting in Beaufort, SC, where we stayed at a Bed and Breakfast, the Rhett House Inn. It was very nice and featured a large Southern breakfast each morning; coffee, tea, and homemade cookies left out in the afternoon; and a homemade dessert in the evening. Each room was beautifully and comfortably furnished, and I had so much fun reading while SS attended meetings in the morning and afternoon.



While we were on the way down there February 10, we remembered that it was that day in 1969 when we had crossed paths again, a year and a half after graduating from high school. I was studying one Monday evening when my good friend Susan called and wanted me to ride with her to K-Mart. I really didn't want to go, but she wanted someone to ride with so I agreed to go. On the way back she wanted to stop by Edisto, an ice cream store. I really didn't want to do that either, always on a diet, but she twisted my arm. When I got out of the car, I heard someone say "Hey, Carol," and looked and there was SS waiting in the "Sid-mobile" for Papa S to come out with some ice cream for their family. Although we had known each other to speak to in high school, we had never actually had a conversation before, and didn't that night either. When SS moved to Columbia with his family as a junior in high school, he was very popular with all the girls - and went out with a lot of them. I heard through the grapevine that he didn't smoke or drink - VERY unusual for that time - and he would not let other guys cuss or use bad language in front of girls - completely unheard of! So I found him very intriguing, but never had an opportunity to talk with him.



On the Wednesday night after that, SS called and said he was supposed to speak at a Valentine's banquet on Saturday with Jody and wondered if I would go with him. I knew he was a ventroloquist, because I had seen him at the mall once when looking for a new sportscoat for Jody, where he was surrounded by onlookers. I was thrilled and of course accepted at once! I had a pretty ruffly white blouse and went out and bought some red satin material and whipped up a little jumper with a wide waist band, gathered short skirt, and straps that crossed in the back. It was snowing that night, which made everything seem even more special, and we had a wonderful time - the first of many to come.



Romans 8:28 says "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose", and I have always marvelled and been thankful that the Lord brought us together at that place and at that time. What a wonderful 41 years we have had together and how thankful we are for our daughters and now a beautiful grandson that came from that fateful meeting at an ice cream store. Although we don't have any pictures from that night, I have a picture from that year with that blouse I loved and pictures of SS with Jody.
Wishing that all my Pamela's girls will have a wonderful Valentine's Day, spent with those you love!!
Hugs and Kisses from CiCi!!

No comments:

Post a Comment