Saturday, February 6, 2010

Miss Pearl's Rocker




This Christmas, we brought Miss Pearl's rocker out from retirement so that Baby could sit in it while reading or watching his favorite cartoon - MICKEY! I wanted to share its history with Pamela's girls.






While growing up, I had 2 Godmothers. Both were Christian, Godly single ladies who never had children of their own but were very special to my parents, and thus to me. On my daddy's side, there was Cousin Elsie(MacDaniel) who was Grandmommy Edith's first cousin and lifelong best friend. She lived in Elizabeth, New Jersey and would try to come for a visit at least once every year or two.


The other was Miss Pearl (Gideon) who lived next door to Pamela when she was growing up in Anderson, and was very much loved and adored by both Pamela and Mommas. Born August 5, 1885, she died at age 89 on December 18, 1974. I don't know when she gave me this little rocking chair, but it was so prized and cherished, that I don't remember ever actually sitting in it, for fear of breaking it(I was on the "chubby" side).


Pamela and Mommas loved to take us to Anderson to visit with Miss Pearl and all the family members there, and we have these pictures of a visit they made to us in Columbia in May 1960.


Miss Pearl is the lady with the dark hair on the left, Miss Clara Gates ( who Miss Pearl paid to stay with her and help with housework), a sister of Poppas(Ida or Nellie?), and Mommas with two of her famous poses - hand behind the head and wrist held out. Of course, we recognize Auntie J in one of the pictures as well.
This little chair is truly a family heirloom, but I want it to be used and enjoyed by our little Baby B.
Wishing all of Pamela's girls a wonderful weekend!!
Love from CiCi




No comments:

Post a Comment