Thursday, February 25, 2010

And The Word Of The Lord Came To Them…




How many times have we read those words in the Bible? Those pilgrims who walked before us discovered that His Word found them… wherever they were….sometimes whether they wanted to be found or not. Sometimes it was unexpected – a bush burning in the wilderness with a message that challenged its hearer beyond his perceived abilities. A soft voice in a wind giving essential direction. A message in a dream with a warning or news. And with the Lord’s own marvelously creative touch - once even from a donkey’s mouth!

Hebrews 4:12 - Indeed, the Word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing until it divides soul from spirit, joints from marrow; it is able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

His Word has come to me too and it has proved the most valuable book that has ever graced my shelves or heart. Years of sacrifice, blood and tears from saints before us brought His Word in print so that I can read it on a quiet afternoon, or sleepless night or even every morning as I eat my breakfast. And I love to have those too little moments in His Word in the morning with cereal bowl in front of me. Years ago I went to a used bookstore and bought an American Standard Bible that had one wide column of text and notes in the margin. I wanted a Bible that I could underline, write in and one that was easy to read. This Bible has carried me through almost 30 years and has even been rebound once in a thick, dark red leather. I sat beside Pamela’s hospital bed with this Bible and clung to its pages for comfort. And over the years it has never let me down.

Psalm 119:114 - You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in Your word.

Last week was a hard week for me for some reason. I felt inexplicably sad and tired with the kind of fatigue that usually has less to do with exertion and more to do with emotion. I felt a sense of loneliness and an inability to appreciate the myriads of blessings in my life – blooming in every corner - whether snow is on the ground or a sharp wintry wind lashes the sugar maples in the back yard.

Psalm 119:28 - My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to Your word.

Saturday morning I woke before either Uncle R. or our house-guest May-san. I think now that the Lord was just kind to me and gave them a few extra needed winks while I sat over coffee and read the Word. First I worked through the daily reading in the Year-Through-The-New-Testament plan that I made for myself to follow this year and then my aching heart found its way to the Psalms – a true and surely empathetic friend to the down of heart and weary of spirit.

Psalm 73:26 - My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

I read and soaked in the living balm that is His Word and began to feel that strength slowly refilling. I’ve felt it before – like cool, fresh water flowing into a hot, dry basin. And I realized that my loneliness was for Him. I think I had been so busy with other things, “urgent” things, distracting things – that reloading with the Word had fallen into the “when I can get the chance” slot over the past few weeks.

Psalm 107:9 - For He has satisfied the thirsty soul, And the hungry soul He has filled with what is good.

Time with our Father – with our Abba – is critical. It reminds me of a Bible study that I went to years ago where our speaker described one of her trips to the beach. She took a raft, paddled out just a little ways and then calmly drifted, attention consumed by the soft ocean breezes and warm sun. She was jerked from her daydreaming by the voice of the lifeguard calling over his megaphone sounding as if from a great distance – “Do you have ANY idea JUST HOW FAR OUT you are?!?” She looked up in a panic and saw the shore and its tiny groups of people far, far away.

Eph 6:17 - Take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God.

I know that I get like that. I wander into my own “important concerns” or entertainment distractions and forget to listen to what He has to say. How very, very thankful I am that He nudges and calls me back.

Psalm 119: 105 - Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path.



Love to my Pamela's Girls,

Auntie J.






No comments:

Post a Comment