Sunday, January 30, 2011

A January Saturday

I wish that Uncle R and I could have been at Baby B’s party yesterday. It has been a truly wonderful thing to watch him grow in photos and videos shared by the other Pamela’s Girls. But - even though we were not at Baby B’s Mickey party, he was very much in our hearts and thoughts during the day!

It was such a busy week with job possibilities and interviews, polishing resumes and zeroing in on interview clothes that Uncle R and I found ourselves mentally and physically exhausted yesterday. However, bright and early Uncle R said he wanted to take me out to breakfast and so we went over to our little nearby Bosnian café. Now CiCi is probably shaking her head and saying; “What KIND of breakfast can they possibly have at a BOSNIAN restaurant?!?”

Well – I had a pretty simple egg, fresh sausage, hash browns and wheat toast, but Uncle R had a breakfast burrito with Chef Sevala’s own Bosnian salsa. Maybe it was Sevala’s big grin and welcoming hug - in addition to the tasty food - that made us want to go there, but it really was a nice way to start the day. The décor in this small café is simple and unpretentious, but what makes the place absolutely shine is the unique & creative cuisine and the friendly & cheerful personalities of Sevala and her lovely assistant chef, Jordan.

On the way home from breakfast, Uncle R and I decided to make his
Roast On Top Of The Stove Chicken. A few years ago we bought several pieces of Tennessee-made cast iron cookware, one of which was a nice, roomy dutch oven. While staying at Chez R one of our puppy-sitting times, he saw this recipe in a Southern Living magazine and has made it several times. It is pretty easy to make and OH so delicious!

So after stopping by the store for ingredients, we went home and started preparing. The idea was to let it cook until it was ready, turn the stove off and then come home from 5 o’clock church to a meal all ready for us.

It was absolutely truly wonderful to walk up our stairs from the garage when we got home from church and smell the mouth-watering herbs de Provence spices (brought to us from France by our French Sis), chicken, potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic and… yes… Uncle R’s jalapenos and habaneras slipped into the mix.


It was so nice to sit and dig in to our tasty supper and chill from the hectic week. And we did so with thankful and hopeful hearts. When I was laid off, I looked around at the Nashville music industry and did some serious thinking about where I would like to land next. There was one company that I decided would be at the top of my list, but had no idea whether anything would be available there. I am grateful to the Lord that He has provided a job – as of Friday - and at that very company.

Uncle R and I are so thankful for how the Lord has provided for us. This time of looking for a job for me has been full of grief for my old job and friends there and moments of apprehension as I wondered where I would be next. It has been a walk of faith which has had moments of triumph and temptations to fear. But the time at home with Uncle R, working on my resume together, eating lunch at our kitchen table across from each other and just holding hands as we looked out on a snowy backyard have been sweetly special. Thanks to all of the Pamela’s Girls for prayers and encouragement! Keep those prayers coming as I start my new job.

Love to the Pamela’s Girls!

Auntie J

No comments:

Post a Comment