Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A RING REBORN

















According to the date on an old Pamela photo, my mother received her engagement ring somewhere between December 1 - 9, 1944. I remember hearing that the stone fell out soon after she received her engagement ring from Daddy. It was never replaced. I don't know exactly why, but knowing my mother's frugal ways and the fact that it was during WWII and Daddy was a poor sailor in the Navy - it became an event indefinitely deferred. I am sure at the time they thought they would replace it, but life jumped in with beginning careers and babies and homes to buy and it just never happened.

In July while visiting CiCi - my sister and I found ourselves sitting on her living room floor looking through old jewelry boxes and the modest treasures that had belonged to Pamela and Mommas. My generous sister started giving me items that I ooh'd and aah'd over and I went home with a pendant from South America with 2 sides of pictures carefully formed from butterfly wings, my favorite bead necklace of Mommas' and our mother's engagement ring with it's sad and empty setting.

I kept finding myself wearing it - somehow comforted by a sweet emotion when I looked at it. I couldn't entirely explain it. The engagement ring to a marriage that ended in divorce could be sad and represent something that couldn't weather the inevitable storms of life, but I found that when I looked at it, I thought about my parent's love when it began and when it was hopeful.

Uncle R. knew that I had a wish to someday have the ring restored and so for our 20th anniversary this month, he had the ring cleaned and the stone replaced. I love it so much and love the man's heart that would want to do that... who would understand a sentimental treasure like that little nearly forgotten ring.

How kind is the Lord to give me a man who loves Him most of all and gives me the next, very best part of his love. I have seen throughout my marriage the precious comforts given and securities felt with a man who loves the Lord with all his heart and I wouldn’t trade that for anything. Uncle R. makes me laugh, entertains me, encourages my creative bents, holds my hand when I am frightened and prays for me with a quiet, strong ease that I thank the Lord for every day. I wish so much that Pamela could have met him, but rejoice to think that one day at the end of our lives, she will.

Happy New Years Pamela’s Girls!

Love,
Auntie J.

No comments:

Post a Comment