Friday, August 20, 2010

The Music Row Ladies Golf Tournament 2010


The ladies in my office look forward each year to attending the Music Row Ladies Golf Tournament together, held at a beautiful Nashville country club just outside of town and benefitting a very worthy charity, United Cerebral Palsy.

It’s always a pleasant experience to have our group meet in the lobby, turn over phone & computer control to some helpers and head off into the sunshine. At least we always hope that it will be a day of sunshine. There have been a few tournaments that we all winded our ways home drenched to the bone.

I am definitely
no golfer (sorry Daddy N), but will occasionally try my hand at putting in a few balls. If you have dollar bills in your pocket you can “bribe” a pro at each tee and he will drive the ball for you. I quite often will take advantage of that opportunity, but the thing I really like is to wheel about in a golf cart swigging diet coke or fruit tea from one of the companies donating drinks and waving to colleagues from other companies as I zoom past.

Every year I remember with a chuckle in my heart that my dad once told me that he took CiCi out golfing with him one day when she was a little girl. She begged to drive the golf cart and he finally relented and let her take the wheel. After driving for a few minutes she suddenly found herself heading toward a tree and in a moment of panic LEAPT from the cart leaving Daddy N sitting on the passenger side all alone. Hee-hee! I don’t honestly know whether Daddy N made that story up just to make me laugh but I really enjoy believing that it’s true!

We also can’t wait to see what kind of bag we will receive as we check in at the tournament. Whenever I go out of town now I always use a nice, autumn-colored paisley overnighter bag that I got at the 2008 tournament. One year we got a bag in colors that I knew Mommy M would like and I mailed it to her. Another year it was a rolling bag made of a plastic material that looked like cow hide and was edged in pink – that one was a bit bizarre! Inside of each bag they put all kinds of “goodies” or as Uncle R likes to refer to them – little tchotchkes. These might be t-shirts with different recording artist or music company names on the back, letter openers, hand sanitizer pocket bottles, new CDs, sewing kits, lotions, etc. This year the bag was a simple turquoise and brown burlap bag – not extremely exciting – but it had an umbrella and iTunes card inside along with the normal geegaws and I was happy to get those.


Well, I have to say that even though I don’t get into the actual golfing part of the tournament in a serious way, I still feel like my dad is smiling down at me…. And maybe hoping that I’ll sink a 20’ putt in honor of him!

Love to my Pamela's Girls,
Auntie J

No comments:

Post a Comment