Thursday, March 18, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SANFRAN S!


Because I live so far from home and my sister, I am rarely told that I have a “family resemblance” to anyone around me. If I visit SC, I sometimes have the treat of hearing that – and I love it! It gives my heart a little tug to have anyone say that Mommy M or SanFran S look like me. And to be said that I look like my sister… well, that seriously makes my day!

What CiCi says about me and SanFran S is that, perhaps… just maybe… I was a bad influence. Well, maybe just in the “moving far away from home” category. (I hope.) As a teenager, I longed to move to Nashville and work in the music business and as soon as the time came to head to college and plan a career – off I went to Tennessee and have been a resident ever since. As a matter of fact, I have lived in Nashville longer than I ever lived in my home town. And although I miss the wonderful state of South Carolina and family there – I really love Nashville.

SanFran S seems to have caught my same love for travel, international foods and living in a big city, multicultural environment. She of course lives in a far larger pool of multicultural variety, but I think that there probably is a common current between us in finding ourselves drawn to discover what life is like far beyond our roots. Our roots are precious to us, but we’re somehow gravitationally attracted to foreign towns and international interests and wonder how the far off lands in our ancestors’ past have made us who we are.

I see SanFran S as a lovely combination of a creative urban fashionista and a warm & magnolia soft-complexioned young woman with a sweet tea smile and the savvy to find her way across a teeming metropolis. She is beautiful, exotic, poised and has developed her own style that sets her apart from those of us who stare into their closet and think “jeans and long sleeved t-shirt… yep, that works”. She is her own creative woman - full of sparkle and color!


It doesn’t seem that long ago that SanFran S would curl up in my lap when I came to visit. Her soft little voice and large thoughtful eyes could charm anyone and they always especially worked on me. One of the favorite quotes that I will carry through my entire life (and Uncle R & I occasionally say this to each other & smile) is one that CiCi related of the time when little girl SanFran S was exasperated one day and said; “Don’t say I’m coot! It makes me an-gee when people say I’m coot!” But the inescapable problem was… she really was coot… I mean, cute!

Although her current creative efforts benefit a worthwhile non-profit organization, I often wonder if the world of fashion will lure her back. Might she ever become a world famous stylist to the stars? Or develop a fashion line of her own? Have Paris Fashion Week runway shows in the City of Lights?!? If so…..SanFran S,… don’t forget your poor ol auntie would LOVE to have a Paris apartment to visit, so pick a nice one!


Happy Birthday to SanFran S! I'll be thinking of you on Saturday!
You are loved by your Your Auntie J



No comments:

Post a Comment