Thursday, January 14, 2010

A LETTER FROM PAMELA

Recently I found a letter that Pamela wrote to me years ago and found that it was such a perfect little representational capsule of her creativity, love for us as her family and sense of fun. I thought that my Pamela’s Girls might enjoy it too….

January 26, 1982

Tuesday afternoon
4:30pm

Dearest J.,

I am sitting in the den on the couch snuggled in a blanket looking out on a lovely sunny January scene – little snow birds eating the seed Mommas sprinkled over the walk and patio awhile ago, a dove strolling down the slope from the patio to the walk, a squirrel running up a tree, the smell of country ham emanating from the kitchen (doesn’t that make you homesick!)

I have been home today with a sore throat, so have been lounging around, taking life easy. Mrs. B. called while ago to thank us for the cake and we told her about your story and about you wanting to visit with her and she said she would love to have you come down and she would love to read your story. So when I type it I will take her a copy to read.

I love my clothes you gave me for Christmas and birthday, but you shouldn’t have given me so much & spent so much! I feel so dressed up in my blazer and shirt. I’ve never had a nice blazer like that before. Thank you so much for all the lovely gifts. The blouse is beautiful too. And every time I look at them I think about you!

"CiCi" & "Mommy M." came by to see me at the office yesterday and I fixed them some hot chocolate & got them a piece of chocolate cake out of the kitchen. "Mommy M." looked so precious in her green and white checked dress and white pinafore Daddy gave her for Christmas.

I told "CiCi" about your Tupperware party. She said there is a small pie saver that I could get. I’ll try to get a book from someone at work tomorrow.

Hope you are staying well and feeling good. "CiCi" thinks she will have the baby around the 1st of March, so I don’t know when to make your reservations.

I am going to try to call you tonight.

Moms

I love the way Pamela’s sweet, sweet spirit shone through that letter!
Love,
Auntie J.

1 comment:

  1. How precious to have a moment in time captured in a letter. It paints a picture of a life in an era; a time where we were fussed at with a proud smile that we shouldn't have spent so much money; a time when ladies were sharing home baked goods; and good times at Tupperware parties!!

    ReplyDelete