Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Grandfather's Treasures

I just finished the first painting I've done just for Daddy. As we've been discussing family heirlooms a lot lately, I asked Daddy what his favorite gun was of Papa's. He brought out this nickel-plated pearl-handled revolver which was made in the early 1900's. It belonged to his grandfather Walter Pleasant Boyd, which was given to Papa. I told Daddy that I wanted to place it on the table to take a picture of it. We then realized that everything on the table, including the table, were special heirlooms to Daddy. Grandmother Ettie Howell Boyd bought three marble top tables from a traveling salesman so she would have one for each of her sons. Of all the things in Vivian and Papa's house, this was the main piece of furniture that Daddy wanted to keep. The lamp also came out of Ettie Howell's house. It was a kerosenes lamp but Papa wired it to make it electric. The pocket watch was Mr. Boyd's. Daddy said that he worked for the railroad and would always carry that watch and his pistol.

Now that I have finished the painting, it is going to be hard to wait another month to give it to him:)


Thank you for all of your sweet baby wishes! Although I am still a little sad at the thought of not having a little girl, I am thrilled to think that in a few months we will have another precious little boy like Baby B. I am also enjoying imagining all of the fun Baby B and his little brother will have playing since they will be so close in age... Hopefully a name will be announced soon!


Happy Wednesday Pamela's Girls!


Love,


~Mommy M

1 comment:

  1. I love the painting, the wonderful writing, the sweet thoughts and the amazing girl who posted this!!!

    ReplyDelete