Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Auntie J's Influence

This is my latest art project...































The master bedroom and bath of our house used to be a mother-in-law suit. We love it because it is VERY spacious. The bedroom was a living room/dining room and the bathroom was the bedroom, so the bathroom is extremely large. I have pondered over what to do with all the wall space in there. When we were helping Uncle R move a few weeks ago, he had taken down a large frame off of the wall and was going to throw it away. I immediately snatched it up because I knew I could somehow use it in our bathroom. I searched around for different ideas and found a painting that looked like you were gazing at the beach out of a window and I fell inlove with it. Daddy L helped me nail the frame to the wall and then I created the mural inside. I used a painting of Barbados, so we can always remember our fun, relaxing week there. Now I really love going into our bathroom and pretending I am back in Barbados looking out over the beautiful ocean. I also took some photos of some pretty spring flowers in our backyard with our new camera. I loved them so much that I framed them and added them to our bathroom wall.


Last weekend we hosted our church supper club group at our house. One of the ladies owns a really cute art gallery on the square and she immediately commented on how much she loved my painting of the State House. I was very honored since she is such a good artist and since this was my first painting (with much assistance from Auntie J and Uncle R). They helped me get started on it while I was visiting them in Tennessee. It was so much fun going to eat a delicious meal and then coming back to paint... and then go to eat another delicious meal and coming back to paint... and so on. Auntie J gave me tips on techniques and Uncle R helped us create various color combinations with different paints. Now I just throw colors together until I am happy with the result, but Uncle R knew the exact percentage we needed of each color. It was so much fun and a memory I will NEVER forget!









I think SanFran S and I were both born with a love for art and drawing. I know Cici and SS encouraged us both in this love by allowing us to color and draw whenever we wanted to, but I also feel that Auntie J has had a huge influence on my love for art. I remember watching her draw when I was little and being amazed at how life-like her drawings of little girls(SanFran S and me) and dogs(Skippy) were. A lot of our time together was spent drawing and coloring (when she wasn't braiding my hair:).

Because of my visit in Tennessee with Auntie J and Uncle R a few years ago, they helped me find a new love in painting by showing me techniques, how to create colors and by starting me off with my the necessity art supplies. Now it is one of my FAVORITE pasttimes! I think it is very impressive that although we are far away, an Aunt and Uncle can have such a huge, wonderful impact on their nieces. I know that one day Baby B and Baby 2 will feel the same way about their aunt.







Love to Pamela's Girls!

Mommy M









No comments:

Post a Comment