Saturday, December 18, 2010

From Pamela's Diary - December 15, 1943






On Reaching My 22nd Birthday, December 15, 1943, Wednesday

The weather is cold; it started snowing here in Charleston about 6pm. Had a date with Ray at seven, but he didn’t come until 8:30. He had a wreck on the sleek, sleet-covered road, and damaged his car. He brought me a beautiful birthday present – a cedar chest. We were planning to go to the Footlight Play, “Dangerous Corners”, but did not go. Took a walk in the snow. The lights shining out on the snow, and the icy, midnight-blue sky, looked like a Christmas card scene.

Mother is worried about the pipes freezing. Dad and Ray turned the water off. Ted is afraid to walk in the snow.

Mother and Dad ate supper at 5 o’clock. I waited on Ray until 7:30, and then ate. We had roast beef, creamed potatoes and gravy, slices tomatoes and lettuce, pickles, biscuits, macaroni pie, and chocolate cake. Mother had two huge red candles on the table. Ray ate at 8:30 when he came. He was so upset.

Mother and Dad gave me a beautiful lace-trimmed tearose slip. Rosalie Berkman, whose birthday is on the 15th, too, sent me a card and a bright handkerchief.

I don’t think Wilkie would make a good president, I believe Douglas McArthur will be elected if he runs, but, as a President, I don’t believe he will be as successful or as popular as he is in the Army. I want a new, good, Democratic President. I don’t think the War will end soon; I have no idea how long it will be.

The most important thing in my life now is to try to make my Mother and Father happy, and to try to make my life a success, that is, in service, health, and finding that which I am to accomplish.




No comments:

Post a Comment