Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Christmas and Memory Globes

Last night I dreamed that when I came home this coming weekend to South Carolina for Christmas, Grandma V. and Papa were there. It was like they had never left. Everyone was talking and laughing like everything was normal and all of a sudden, they were back. The most interesting part I remembered though was not that I quickly accepted that they had come back and were there with us for the holidays, it was that I spent the entire time telling Papa about my experiences and travels in San Francisco and New York City. When I woke up, I was wondering, why is that all I had to talk to him about after not seeing him for almost 10 years?

I remember he would take me in his room from time to time to show me his globe of the world. He'd show me where he lived in the Phillipines during WWII and tell me what it was like there. He'd point out all the places he'd visited during his younger years all over the world. Once he told me about the Japanese kamikaze pilots and how they gave their lives for their country and how to them, that meant they were going to their heaven. He told me that although that we as Christians may not agree with them or think that is right (that they would kill themselves and others at the same time to go to heaven), we should never hate them, but try to understand them. He said because that's what they were brought up to believe just like we were brought up to believe certain things too. That lesson taught me how to not judge or hate those that have different cultures or lifestyles from what we know or even what we believe is right. That has helped me become what I am today, and I'm so thankful and proud of that. If he were here this Christmas, I would to tell him about all the people I've met from all over the world, the cuisines I've tried, the things I've learned and experienced since living in San Francisco and New York City. And that I may not have had such an acceptance of others so different from what was "normal" to me if it weren't for him and his stories with the world globe. What life lessons or stories did your grandparents tell you that helped to carve you into the person you are today?

Merry Christmas Pamela's Girls! I can't wait be with all of you soon!
Love,
SanFran S

No comments:

Post a Comment